Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Not So Bad

I wrote the "Play" section for Mortal Coil very quickly a week or two ago. It's all about tips and techniques for creating a good game. Anyway, while I was writing it, I felt it was very half-assed, and when I was done I was thinking it was basically an outline for what I wanted the final section to be.

I just reread it today for editing purposes, fully intending to add a lot of text and expand on things. It turns out that it is pretty good! If I expand it a lot, I'll just end up repeating myself. It's not a college paper! I don't have to pad it out!

Just goes to show that you should never judge your own output at the time you are writing it. Get a week or two of distance and reread it. It might surprise you!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger gains said...

Distance is the best thing for your work. It allows an objective approach and allows new subjective opinions to form.

I always plan for a day in every project's timeline during which I will NOT work on it so I can approach it fresh the next day.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Brennan Taylor said...

On the other hand, rereading this post today, I think I totally abused the exclamation mark.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home