Friday, September 16, 2005

This was posted on The Forge by Albert of Feh:

I have to say, I really like the explicit mechanical success == narration rights paradigm. In more traditional RPGs, I (as the GM) have always felt like I was some sort of black box responsible for the state of the SIS. With the exception of the most basic and isolated character actions, all input had to go through me. While I could hand full control over to a player for spotlight moments, there were never any guidelines for when to do it, what the scope of that narration could be, or anything else. It was really tiring to be that black box.

I've found that, with InSpectres and tMW, I get to open that box and let all the players muck around inside along with me. And suddenly I have effective guides for how to pass around the tools inside and let everyone have a go. Instead of pulling it all along by myself and ending every session utterly out of energy, everyone is putting work in, and so I end up with more energy after three hours of play than I had when I began!

You know, I think there's no going back.

I am totally there. One of the things "traditional" RPGs demand is a lot of GM preparation. I just don't have the time or inclination to do this any more. I generally figure out one or two plot points and drive the action that way, but mostly play herd over the players' desires and actions for direction. It is really refreshing to play a game where the rules take some (or all) of that burden off of you as a GM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home