Tuesday, November 14, 2006

[Fifth World?] Name Changes

It's been a very, very long time since I posted, my apologies.

Anyway, short version, it turns out that another group of game designers is releasing a game in December called "Fifth World," and they very politely contacted me and asked that I not release my game under the same name. Since they are beating me to the punch, I agreed to come up with a different name for this game. After some advice on various message boards, I've come up with a short list of names:

Twin Souls
How We Came to Live Here
Up from the Fourth World
So That This World Will Not Be Destroyed
Into The Light

Feel free to comment on these (and add other ideas if you have them). I've got time to ruminate, and the game's got the working title of The Fifth World until I settle on a new one.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Blogger Nathan P. said...

Knowing next to nothing about the game, other than it's based on/inspired by Native American folklore, here's how these titles strike me.

Twin Souls, Up from the Fourth World and Into The Light are all vaguely evocative, but not associating to anything concrete for me. Twin Souls implies duality, and Into the Light is kinda vaguely mystical.

How We Came to Live Here: This title makes me think that the game is about telling the creation and travel stories/myths of an indiginous people.

So That This World Will Not Be Destroyed: The game is about a struggle to preserve native ways of life, maybe against literal foes, or maybe it's a metaphorical battle.

I hope some of that helps. I dunno whether you want a vaguer title, or have something more concrete.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Troy_Costisick said...

Heya,

I did some checking. The word dream is often associated with Native American culture. Here are some Native American words that mean dream:

Asgitisdi- Cherokee
Naovaxe- Cheyenne

Also, the word Land can be translated into these words:

Gadawahi- Cherokee
Totoemanâheno- Cheyenne
Kay-Yah- Navajo


Now, this is the best to my knowledge. Which isn't very good I'll caution. So I could be wrong. But it may give you a good idea, or at least a place to start :)

Peace,

-Troy

 
At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like how a lot of myths seem to have pedantic titles, like "The year of two winters" or "How Paniruk and Akhooseruk killed Angyokuksuk".

In that light I like How We Came To Live Here best - it's the most truly mythic and also weirdly humble.

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Into The Light best.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Brennan Taylor said...

Jason:

That's precisely why it's my current front-runner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home